4.15.2012

Something Scary, Something Hard

Before I get into my blog post for the day, I should probably address the obvious- I did not complete the Blog Challenge.  I didn't even begin it really... I thought about it, and I tried, but I was discouraged by all the pictures you had to take.  I didn't want to share so many pictures haha

Anyway! Moving on... I thought today's blog post title was fitting for two reasons.  First, because today I have been thinking about change and changing is indeed something scary and something hard to do.  Albeit, very worthwhile, still scary and still hard :)  Second, because I felt like I should share my own very personal experience with change and it is not an easy thing to share something personal and dear to your heart to the world when there is a good chance that 90% of the people seeing it will mock you or take it lightly.  Nobody likes seeing things they hold close to them taken lightly.  So I'm just going to ask if you're reading this, and you read what I wrote, and you don't agree with it or think I'm off my rocker, please just keep it to yourself :) Or kindly just make fun of me to someone I don't know so I won't hear about it.  Thanks in advance.

Those of you reading this who have no idea what I'm talking about, I promise not to keep you in the dark.  Today I posted something on my Facebook profile, it was a long something, and I will share it here:

"Today I was reminded of the change a person can make in their life for the better. It seems like a lifetime ago I was that rebellious teenager many of you may still think of me as, but the truth is I am no longer that person. And the reason why is because I was brought to the realization that where I was in my life was not going to bring me to the things I really wanted in life.
Was it easy to change? No, not always, but I was able to leave the person of my past behind and meet a man who saw me and loved me for the person I wanted to be, the person I was trying to be. Now, almost five years later I have grown in ways I never would have thought possible. I have reached goals that even when working toward being better, I never thought would be attainable. Am I perfect? Definitely not. But I am a better person than I once was. I am a happier person than I once was, and I am grateful for the knowledge that change is always possible, and you should never give up on trying to be better.

If you are at a point in your life where you are wanting a change for the better, don't give up. There is always a way to bring yourself out of a bad situation, there is always opportunity to make decisions to bring you closer to what really matters. The best way to do that is through the Lord. Some of you may not be religious, but I can not deny that I know God is real, and I know He is aware of each and every one of us. Share your desire to change with someone who can help you, don't do it alone. But most importantly, share it with God. He can and He will help to change your heart, and bring you closer to what really matters in life.

'...for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.' 1 Samuel 16:7 Old Testament (King James Version)

'12 And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold I say unto you that this is all true.
13 And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.' Alma 5:12-13 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ

If you would like to learn more about my personal experiences and my faith you can view my profile on mormon.org here http://mormon.org/me/2TQW-eng/

To learn more about my church go to lds.org and feel free to message me if you have any questions. I am not a perfect Mormon (nobody is) but I am willing to share my experiences and beliefs with any who would like to know."



I have never been very openly religious on my Facebook account, not that I can remember anyway, but I just really felt this was an important message to share.  Today in church we talked about change and the teacher asked if any of us had ever really truly experienced a great change in our lives and how it made us feel.  While I didn't share my experience at the time, I couldn't help but reflect on it and think of it.  And I just thought if I could help encourage someone to have the courage to change their lives for the better, to be able to stand up as an example of someone who did and was able to, than I should.

So that's why I did it.  And it is always a little nerve-wracking for me to share things like that, I don't know why, but I don't regret it.  I know what I know, and I believe the ability to change is what makes the human race so beautiful.  We can be more than we are in this moment, we can be more than we are even when we are at our best, and part of life is almost like a great big opportunity to jump up and say, look how far I can go! Look at what I can be!

I am excited and hopeful to take advantage of that opportunity. I hope I can continue to try and make right the things in my life that need to be improved, I am sograteful for loving friends and family who help me and encourage me along the way.  I think a support system is very important, and I would like to offer myself as a support to anyone who needs one, no matter how far away we may be.  

I amgoing to challenge myself this week to pick one thing in my life I would like to change and focus on that, and try to be better.  I would encourage you to do the same.  Those of you who read the Book of Mormon or have a copy, or would like to pull it up on lds.org, read the book of Enos each day as you try to make this change, (it's only a page and a half long), I have been told that it is a very powerful message that can help us change, and as we read we may notice things to inspire us or encourage us.  I am willing to give it a try! 

I hope everyone had a great Easter and you all have a great week!

1 comment:

Laurel Marsh said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings. Powerful message. Progression and change are beautiful things. How grateful I am for our Savior's atonement who made it all possible.