9.03.2010

The Sleep Zone

Last night Jack woke up after having fallen asleep on the couch and looked at me begrudgingly. As if to accuse me of staying up way too late, and not going to bed. I gave him a look back and said, "what? It's just now midnight." To which he responded, "yeah, in Utah." I blinked at him and then laughed, "we are in Utah, Jack. Well at least I am, not sure where you are." It took him some time but he got awake enough to admit that in his sleep-mind he was somewhere else. Although, I'm not sure exactly where. Wherever it was he was in the Sleep Time Zone.

This morning, I woke up early but Thomas was still sleeping so I figured I would just rest my eyes for a little bit. Amazing how in ten minutes my sleep transported me somewhere else, to a completely bizarre world that for some reason felt incredibly real.

I dreamed that My parents were building a house, I think in Utah but can't be sure because the property looked like our home in New York, and they had the kitchen done and a tiled spot on the floor that they needed to frame in and make the bathroom. I was offering to call up some friends and help but Jack and I were apparently running late. We had left Thomas at my Abuelita's apartment to be looked after. Which is incredibly strange because unfortunately, my grandma passed away a few years ago.

Anyway, my dad and I got into the car and started driving to Queens, so I guess we were in New York. While in the car he asked me what I thought about at this woman that was there at the house that actually used to be in my church back in New York. She was obviously flirting with him and I got mad and told him that she was ugly and mean and my mom was a hundred thousand times better than her, which is true. He missed a turn and turned around for it, I was frustrated that we were running late and insisted that I drive. He pulled over, after turning around a bunch of times, for me to get int he driver's seat at which point I said, "forget it, you drive" but it wasn't my dad anymore, it was Jack and we weren't in a car anymore we were in an old pickup truck. At this point I realize I hadn't left any extra formula for my grandma to feed Thomas with, and I dropped him off in the morning and it is now dark so I'm really worrying. Jack, his usual self, even in my dreams (must be because he's so perfect), tries to comfort me and says everything is fine.

Well, we drive around for awhile and then I look out the window and notice that we are barely on a road, and that there is water moving all around us. Jack and I get out of the truck and discover that we are on a small cruise liner! Apparently, we had accidentally driven onto the ramp they were boarding from and the boat took off. One of the director's inform us that we are going to Canada and I of course start crying. He said we've only been traveling for 5 minutes so we're not going to reach land anytime soon.

Jack and I kind of give up for awhile and hang-out on a sofa when another attendant, this time a lady, comes in. After talking for a little bit, we explain to her why I'm so upset and she says she can do something, i don't' remember what it was called, to get the boat to anchor up back by a road for us. I am so incredibly grateful and within the next few minutes the boat has stopped and we are getting into the truck, this time with me driving, trying to maneuver it through the narrow walkways of the boat.
I can kind of hear people talking in the background about the weather or something being too warm outside and they need to turn off the air conditioner. Jack is now still sitting on the sofa, and trying to climb through a window thing to get into the truck with me. I turn my head out to the water and feel a sickening feeling in my stomach as I see a huge wave forming right in front of the ship. I turn to the attendant and ask what to do, "you'll be safer on the boat than on land in that truck," she replies. "Probably you're only chance of survival." Of course I'm freaking out but nod and say, "okay." I climb out of the truck, "just let me make a phone call first." I rehearse in my mind the conversation i'm going to have with my grandma to make sure everything is okay and to explain we probably won't be back until the next day. Keep in mind, my grandma doesn't speak a word of English so this conversation is in Spanish. Which I am not very comfortable speaking but of course, in my dreams I speak it perfectly. The wave crashes over us and the attendant helps me cover my nose as the water surrounds us. Soon, the wave has dispersed and I grab my phone and start dialing my parents. The plan was to ask them to buy formula, bring it over to Abuelita and explain everything. Just then, a second, much bigger wave is forming and about to crash over us. The attendant ditches me to get inside the boat, but I don't have time. I throw myself against the railing and reach one of my hands out for Jack, sticking it through an open window on the boat. The wave crashes over us and we are underwater, but I feel Jack grab my hand. I hold my breath for what seems like forever, and I feel Jack losing his grip and it occurs to me that he is wanting to take a breath. I clasp my hand over his nose, afraid of him drowning since we're still under water, but he still starts to fall limp. I myself am running out of breath and I keep kicking my legs upward hoping to break through the surface. Jack goes limp and I start freaking out- and then I wake up.

For a split second waking up, it felt totally real. Like my hand was going through the mattress, which was actually water, and I was at the surface of it trying to grab hold of Jack. It was totally crazy. Than I woke up and realized the bizarreness of it all and now I'm sharing it with you. Very, very strange...

No comments: