9.04.2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

I just finished reading Th1rt3en Reasons Why by Jay Asher for our September book club book. I seriously read it in one day. It wasn't that it was so beautifully written, or just so good, but it really was a page-turner. I just couldn't bare putting the book down and not knowing what was going to happen next in Hannah's story, I needed to know what happened in her life. I think it's a good book for a high school kid, but I guess I was hoping there would be more depth to it. I mean, it's a book about suicide, of course it's deep, but in my opinion, it was hard to really feel the emotions of the girl. I guess that's a good thing though right? I mean who wants to relate to a girl who killed herself, right?

Anyway, now that i have finished that book, I am going to be starting on A Certain slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb and then I have to read all the books in  the Hunger Games seri es by October since the newest one, MockingJay is our October book. I'm not worried though, i'm sure I'll be able to read them in time.

Today is my first day working a 12 hour shift at work, and although I am tired of sitting down (I know, I can just stand up but my extension cord on my headset isn't very long) it hasn't been so bad. I think I can do this! But who knows, I haven't worked my 9:45-1:45am shift yet, maybe I'll change my mind!

Having all of Tuesdays through Fridays off has been a really weird experience for me. It's made me decide I am really not the Stay At Home Mom kind of person. I just dont' have enough to do, and it feels weird. It feels weird not to try and get everything done by 3:30 to go to work, it feels weird that by 2pm I have done the dishes, started some laundry, even vacuumed and am on my way home from grocery shopping, and still have an entire day.
I am going to have to get more hobbies I guess!

Today our refrigerator broke down. The temperature on it just kept going up and we don't know why but we didn't hve time to call a service guy because by then all our food would ahve gone bad (they're not going to send anyone labor day weekend!) so we bought a new one! Can you believe it?! $900 for a new fridge. Ouch. I'm still confident we can reach our goal to pay off our cars though, we just have to try not to have anymore big expenses. Jack is saying he has to get his wisdom teeth removed, i have no idea how much that costs, but according to him our dental covers 50%.

I feel like I should be really bummed about this big expense, the fact that I was working and couldn't go with Jack to pick it up, and yadda yadda yadda, but in all honesty, our refrigerator was going to crap. The shelves were broken, the drawers would fall of the sliders and break when you tried to open them, the water dispenser was broken (thanks, mom), it was a little depressing! And it didn't hold things very well due to the fact that all the shelves were messed up. So I'm actually kind of glad that we now have a new fridge.
I did hear the other day that they are offering a tax credit for people who buy new energy star refrigerators in 2010 and I want to make sure the one we bought qualifies for that. I've been having trouble finding it online though so i need to go grab my magazine (Lowe's) and look up the article again.

Other than that, I guess not much else has been going on. Thomas toddles around the house everywhere now, walking like a pro, and rarely if ever, losing his balance. It's really adorable! We've been teaching him how to clap his hands and give hi-fives, and lately he has been having fun smacking his lips all around town. He is such a funny little boy, I love him so much!
One thing about only working three days a week is that we get to spend so much more time together and I don't have to worry about him being in the care of someone else so much. Even with me working downstairs and a baby-sitter upstairs, I always worried about him the entire time, it just broke my heart.

Mondays are still hard though. He has only been with the new baby-sitter once, and luckily this Monday Jack has off so he won't have to go this week either, but I was so incredibly nervous the entire time! I just want to know without a doubt my little one is perfectly safe and happy, and you just can't know. Things like that are hard about being a mom, now I understand why my mom was always so overprotective. Luckily though, because I had to grow up with a very over protective mom, i know it's important to let my kids live a little, even if it kills me inside!

Crap I feel all grown up now, it's freaky. Responsibilities and such, who would've thought.

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

Sorry the new fridge was such a big cost. How is work going now?