11.04.2009

Here it is...

The moment I've been putting off for a very long time now. The story about the birth of our precious little boy.

It was Monday, early morning, and by early I mean 3am, when I woke up suddenly aware that I was having contractions. This really wasn't a big deal to me because I had been having contractions for awhile just nothing consistent.
Well, I tried to go back to sleep but felt strangely anxious and it was just impossible so I got up and walked around for a bit. I went back to bed and told Jack I thought I may be going into labor then I went and took a warm shower to see if that would help.

I still felt the contractions and more than an hour had gone by so I decided we should go to the hospital and see. We got to the hospital around 5:30 in the morning and the nurses checked me. I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. The nurse told me to hang-out for an hour and they would check me again. An hour went by and I was 4cm and my contractions were stronger. I was admitted and moved into a different room.

Around 7:30 the doctor came in and talked to me about whether or not I wanted to break my water. I was a little nervous but decided that eventually I would get to the point of the bad contractions and broken water anyway so I might as well just get it over with. Things went fine and stayed pretty much the same until about 10:30am.

By that time I was having very strong contractions and they were really close together, about one minute apart but it even felt like some were overlapping, there was pretty much no break in between them, which according to what I read is not typical. Apparently, you're supposed to have some recovery time in between them, oh well! Anyway, I was at 6cm and had been that way for awhile. Although I had planned to try for a natural birth, I realized I was not going to be in good control of my labor and relaxing through the contractions was extremely difficult, plus I had been told that the worst contractions are at about 7/8cm so knowing they would be getting even worse, I decided I would get the epidural (which by the way ended up costing about $200 after insurance- not too bad in my opinion!).

I have no regrets about my decision. Once I got the epidural I felt sooo much better! And I was so focused on the contractions I didn't even feel the needle, it just felt like cold liquid running through my back when he did it and had to do it twice because the first one apparently didn't go in the right spot, but it was fine. After the epi, I could still feel slight pressure with strong contractions which I appreciated and I was even able to sleep for like 2 hours. It wasn't long before I was fully dilated and at 2pm the nurse checked me. I was 10 cm.

Thomas Otis entered the world at 3:11pm at 7lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long. I didn't expect it but I was very emotional. They got to lay the baby on my chest almost immediately and he reached his little hand out to me, I remember kissing the top of his fingers, and it was so perfect that I couldn't help but break down into tears. Jack was tearing up as well, and my mom was crying too. Even the nurse got teary eyed!

Jack was on the phone with his mom (who Tommy now shares a birthday with!) and he said she was crying too. This baby just makes everyone emotional!



Everything was just so perfect about the birth. I love how my dad was able to be there the day Tommy was born. He was only here for the weekend and Thomas came the day he was planning on leaving so it was just perfect! Plus, he is who Thomas is named after!

I thought it was interesting that it snowed the day after Tommy was born, it never snows in October and hasn't snowed since. Just kinda makes me feel even more like that day was super special.

Since then things have been so good! Jack is an amazing father and helps out so much with everything. My mom being here is such a great help even if she does drive my nuts sometimes. Things have just been so good. Sleep-deprived and different, but perfect and life changing.

Things felt so surreal for the longest time. I thought I would automatically change and be "mom-ish" but that didn't happen at all. I'm still me, I still feel like me (with a helluva lot more emotions), but I see my baby and I know he is mine and Jack's and I love him!



Anyway, life has been pretty good. There are days I feel a little lonely and exhausted but each day is worth it. Every time I see his little smile and perfect dimples and every little expression he makes that reminds me so much of Jack just makes me so happy!! I still tear up thinking about moments like this, I just can't help it.

So there you have it. My very long story. :) Except really this is just like the first chapter I guess. Our life together as a family has really only just begun and I love that!

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

Wonderful! I'm so glad none of your fears came true. :) He looks absolutely perfect, and all those emotions are normal. Enjoy every moment, even the sleep-deprived ones.

Karen Rich said...

I love how happy mommy looks in that picture!